Friday, October 5, 2012

Day 6: Violet

Happy Friday! Today's theme is violet. I had been meaning to try out that spun sugar technique, but I knew it would take a lot of time. So I finally had a nice chunk of time (and no pressing assignments to do), and I gave it a shot. And oh my gosh, I love it.


To do the spun sugar technique, you essentially put a blob of polish on a plate and use a dotting tool to swirl it around until it gets a little tacky. Then you dip the dotting tool in and pull it out slowly. If the polish is the right consistency, you'll be able to pull up strings of polish. Then you lay your nail next to the blob of polish and transfer the little strings right on. I decided not to put any top coat on since I like how 3-D it looks!

It's hard to explain how to do this in words, but there are lots of YouTube tutorials! Just search for "spun sugar nails tutorial" or something similar.


I took about a billion pictures, so you can see more after the jump!



The colors I used for this mani were Frolic by ORLY (the pinker purple) and Grape Pop by China Glaze.

Close up of the thumb
Close up of the pointer and middle fingers

Close up of the ring and pinky fingers

Side shot of my thumb so you can see the texture



I actually found the spun sugar technique to be very frustrating. It took a long time to get the polish to the right consistency, and even then I was struggling to get it stringy enough. It took me over an hour to do both of my hands.

Regardless, I am enamored with how this came out. It's so freaking cool. Totally worth the struggle.

The next day's theme is black and white. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. I love doing sugar spun nails! Not very practical but it looks soooo cool
    I love the colours you used

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I keep staring at my nails! Thank you :)

      Delete